Looks like my last weekend of freedom will be spent on my living room sofa. At my last appointment this morning, my doctor asked me to stay on bed rest this weekend leading up to the delivery. Unfortunately, my blood pressure is up and so is the incredible swelling I’ve been dealing with for the last two weeks.
The positive news is that my test results came back good enough that I can do the bed rest at home (rather than the hospital). I know I’m very fortunate to have made it this far carrying twins without needing strict bed rest sooner, so hopefully these few days will go by quick!
So tonight, I’m toasting my last weekend of pregnancy with sparkling grape juice. Happy Friday!
In less than one week, I’ll be on my way to becoming a mom! Since I’m having twins, my doctor thinks it’s safest to bring the ladies into this world at 37 weeks based on my health, the babies growth, my blood pressure and about a million other factors that have been getting checked during my weekly appointments over the last several weeks. My scheduled induction is this coming Tuesday, July 2. (Eeeek!!!)
I honestly can’t believe that I’m even talking about induction. I was so sure these babies were going to come early based on all the books, others’ stories about having twins and the way I’m progressing (I’ve technically been in early labor for about 2 weeks now. Seriously). I’m thrilled they’re happy and healthy in there though – even if I’ve been physically and emotionally drained for the last month.
The photo above was actually taken on Saturday, a little bit before I hit 36 weeks technically. Let’s just say black is my friend and it definitely doesn’t do my ridiculous swelling justice. I’m pretty sure I scared the guy doing my pedicure over the weekend with my swollen feet.
And so the countdown begins! I’m not sure if this week is going to fly by or be the longest week of my life. Either way, the seconds are passing and I’m enjoying our quiet house while I can 🙂
Recently, I’ve been following some great MoM (mom of multiples) blogs and have gotten to know some wonderful women through the lovely blogging world. One of them, Mercedes from Project Procrastinot, nominated Girl & Town for a Leibster Award!
According to Mercedes’ blog post where she nominated me, “Liebster” is a German word meaning dearest or lovely. How sweet, right? It’s a great way to help others discover new blogs!
When someone is nominated for a Liebster, the blogger accepts the award by writing a post containing the following info:
- Link back to the blog that nominated you
- Nominate 5-11 bloggers who have less than 200 followers
- Answers to the questions posed by your nominator
- Share 11 random facts about yourself
- Create 11 questions for your nominees to answer
Here are my nominees (who come highly recommended! I think a few qualify as more popular blogs, but it’s the thought that counts right??)
- Amy of Loving Life Fashionably
- Monica of Finer Feelings
- Allison of Allison Marie Photography (and also a fellow KC MoM-to-Be)
- Crystal of Wayward Dogs
- Erica at Sweet Sunday Mornings
The 11 questions I was asked to answer by Mercedes:
1. Do you believe in destiny?
I believe everything happens for a reason. I guess you could call it destiny, fate if you want.
2. What and when was the last letter (not e-mail) you wrote?
Do thank you notes count? If so, I’ve been sending A LOT lately.
3. Do you prefer to get things done ahead of time or do you work well under pressure?
Depends on the task – but I probably err on the side of working well under pressure and deadlines.
4. Who (or what) is your biggest inspiration?
5. Why did you start blogging?
I started blogging when I moved back to my hometown in Kansas City after living in Chicago for 8 years. I wanted a way to keep sharing my life with friends far away. It’s definitely turned into a passion of mine – although I work in digital media professionally, it’s become a great creative outlet for my personal life.
6. Salty or sweet?
Sweets – all the time lately.
7. Does your name match your personality?
I think so!
8. Name one guilty pleasure.
Oh geez – lately it seem severything is a guilty pleasure: sour patch kids, slushies, snow cones, ice cream (can you tell I’m pregnant?)
9. What’s your favorite season?
Usually, winter. I absolutely love the holidays!
10. What song/artist reminds you of middle school?
Wow – jogging my memory here! Probably any N’Sync or Backstreet Boys song.
11. What’s your favorite smell? (Mine is new baby, obvs, but also garlic and olive oil).
Lavender – very relaxing these days.
My 11 Random Facts:
1. I’m the youngest of 3 – with two older brothers who kept me in line growing up.
2. I hate pickles.
3. When I was in middle school, I got hit straight in the mouth with a fast pitch softball, requiring stiches inside and outside of my mouth. I still have a little bump on my lip.
4. I am a sucker for animals – mainly my pup Cody. Right now there is a bunny nest in our backyard and I worry about them every day. I know, ridiculous.
5. I still don’t have names picked out for our twin girls. Seriously. Really, keep asking, but I don’t. It’ll be a game time decision.
6. I’ve been married 4 years – of those, I’ve probably cleaned a bathtub 3-4 times (my least favorite cleaning task). Thank god my husband loves cleaning. He is the ying to my yang.
7. I spend way too much time on Pinterest.
8. In my head – I’m a master DIY’er. In reality – I’m a total wanna-be.
9. On that same note, I really want to learn how to sew…well..
10. I could watch Friends around the clock. To me, it never gets old.
11. I will wait to get gas until the light goes on. This drives my dad and my husband nuts.
My 11 Questions for Nominees to Answer:
1. What is your favorite blog post that you’ve written to date?
2. What is the last thing you bought?
3. Do you consider yourself an introvert or extrovert?
4. What is your favorite time of day?
5. How do you deal with stress?
6. Left brain or right brain?
7. Name three items in your purse right now.
8. Where was your last vacation?
9. What do you have a hard time saying “no” to?
10. Do you collect anything?
11. What is the funniest photo, video, meme, card, post, etc. that you’ve seen online lately?
Looking forward to seeing your blog posts and answers, nominees!
It’s probably a good thing I’m super pregnant right now because summer clothing season is in full force and my natural instinct to buy new clothing is in full bloom. Madewell is having a seize-the-day sale today only with 40% off some of their summer must-haves. It’s definitely worth checking out -plus free shipping! Here are a few pieces that caught my eye:
I’m so excited to finally share these photos of the finished nursery for my twin girls! This post is long overdue, but hopefully it was worth the wait. Almost everything in the nursery has special meaning to me. My inspiration for a modern woodland nursery has finally come to life! The gallery wall was a complete DIY project put together from blank canvases, washi tape and paint chips (one day I’ll get my act together and do a DIY post on the artwork I made). I also found or was gifted adorable items from unique Etsy stores like Niko and Lily, Little Hip Squeaks, Ivie Baby, and Bankie Baby.
Now, the only thing missing are my little ladies. I can’t wait to bring them home – I hope they like their new room as much as I do!
Nursery Project Details & Sources:
Paint Color is Benjamin Moore Palladian Blue
Pink/Purple Triangles and Birds Organic Receiving Blankets from Little Hip Squeaks
Modern Woodland Animal Wall Prints (Deer, Fox, Owl and Raccoon) from Niko and Lily
Glider ordered from Buy Buy Baby (Side note: this chair reclines and is SO comfortable!)
Grey Cribs from Walmart
Teal Fox Crib Sheets and Grey Owl Changing Table Cover from Ivie Baby
Custom Deer Blankets and Lovies from Bankie Baby
Zig Zag / Chevron Curtains from Urban Outfitters
Standing Lamp (found for $15 on Craigslist!)
Changing Table from Local Consignment Store Revival (See this post for my DIY makeover of the midcentury modern dresser)
(the most amazing photographer in Kansas City)
Four years ago, I married my best friend. We got married in Kansas City on June 6, 2009 and it’s wonderful to be back here together starting a family. Never could I have predicted the adventures we’ve been on since we’ve been married, especially in the last year. Now in a new house, a new city and with two new little additions on the way, we’re in for an even bigger adventure. We’re both so excited for the milestones to come, but I have to admit it’s a little scary too. This anniversary is even more special as we enjoy our last few weeks with our family being just the two of us…
Soon we’re going to saying “the four of us” – eek! Everyone says how hard being parents of multiples is on a relationship, so I know it’s going to be important for us to stay connected to each other while our family grows. Fortunately, I have the best partner in the whole world to tackle dual crying, twice the midnight feedings and double the smiles. I’m looking forward to enjoying both sweet and frustrating moments together.
Our anniversary dinner last night was unfortunately put on hold because our current little darling, Cody, became suddenly ill. As we were getting ready to leave, he was acting really strange – panting, tucking his tail and hiding in the basement of our house. And he NEVER goes in the basement. So all dressed and ready to head to dinner, we decided to take him to the vet and it’s a good thing we did because he was having trouble breathing, his heart rate was through the roof and he had a bad fever. He’s stable now, but he’s still there being monitored. We’re waiting on an another update this morning on what the cause of all this is. Poor guy!
We definitely got our practice run in to the hospital, it just wasn’t for me. Hoping for an uneventful weekend to relax and unwind with my little family – including a welcome home for Cody!
33 weeks with twins means I’m hanging out at home … a lot. This past Saturday, I had a moment where I was thinking, “I just have to get out!” So we did. Nothing crazy (as I can’t stand for longer than about an hour), but it was still fun exploring my hometown.
We did a little local “sightseeing” if you will and went down to the City Market to eat lunch at Farmhouse – a farm to table home style restaurant in downtown Kansas City. It reminded me a lot of Chicago dining with its unique menu options and dishes you wouldn’t find just anywhere. I had a pork belly BLT that was ah-maz-ing.
We also stopped by Little Freshie – the cutest little shop that serves hand crafted soda fountain drinks, coffee and espresso. I wanted to try everything (as I do most of the time) but settled on root beer. It was delish & very refreshing! I’ll definitely be back.